Well, it seems as if my goal to be intentional about documenting the wedding planning process week-off was far too lofty, because I totally forgot about it. I really thought I was on top of things and that I wouldn’t have too much to do this week, but that was certainly not the case. However, I am happy to say that finally as of today I actually do think I almost have everything done. I’m probably very wrong though. 😉
I really pushed myself the last two days to do as much as humanly possible in 48 hours, including (but certainly not limited to):
- Finishing putting together, printing, and cutting all the wedding menus and programs
- Having calls with the DJ and videographer to put together day-of timelines
- Printing seating chart cards
- Tracking down a few late packages and wrapping all gifts
- Running about 63.4 errands
- Working so, so hard at my actual job to get as much done as I can before shutting down until the 23rd on Friday afternoon
- Two good workouts – a hot yoga class and a cardio/upper body session
- Sleeping a lot, because if I didn’t I would really lose my mind
I really wanted to give myself the end of this week and the weekend to actually slow down, enjoy myself, and remember this time in my life. There are still a few small things to do in the next couple of days, mainly:
- Put together a transportation plan/weekend timeline for our bridal party and vendors
- Write vows (ah!)
- Rehearsal dinner details for Thursday
- Pack for the honeymoon
- Put together our thank you gifts for guests
- Confirm all little details with our venue
All in all, that’s not too bad! I can’t believe that the day is finally almost here. I feel like it was just a few days ago that we got engaged.
If I am being totally honest, I was not that excited to have a wedding. I was (and still am) beyond excited to be married to Chris, but the thought of having all that attention on me did not (and still does not) feel too appealing. I would be lying if I said I didn’t feel anxious about it at all anymore, but I am finally starting to feel more excited than I have thus far. I have felt really guilty when people ask me if I am excited for the wedding, because my gut reaction has been to say no, but I am happy to say that I am starting to say “yes” and mean it the last few days.
I really want to be one of those girls that is just enthralled with her wedding day and has been dreaming about the details of it forever, but that’s just not me. Actually, I don’t think I could care less about the details. Thank goodness for my mother who loves taking care of things like that. Instead, the wedding/marriage-related things I dream about are:
- Having all of my friends and family in one place at one time
- Seeing a ring on Chris’s finger
- The feeling of knowing how many people pulled together to cultivate such a special day for Chris and I – it means the world to me
- Actually being married and getting to say “my husband”
- Knowing that he can’t leave me 😉
- Having children together
- To be totally honest, our honeymoon
There are way more things I am looking forward to, but those are just the first ones to pop to my mind. And writing that list out makes me smile from ear to ear. I really do feel so beyond lucky to have such an amazing man who wants to spend his life with me, the best parents ever to basically pull the entire wedding together, and fantastic girlfriends and sisters who have made the whole process as fun as they possibly could. Getting married really makes you realize who are the people in your life that want to be there and are supposed to be there.
This was a total rambling post, but I think that’s a pretty accurate description of planning a wedding. You can have all the good intentions in the world to be super organized and on top of things, but in the end it’s really just a mashup of things and people coming together in some magical way to make everything work. That’s why I don’t understand the question when people ask me if I am nervous. I always say no, because what would there to be nervous of? I’m certainly not nervous to marry Chris, and I’m not nervous for something to go “wrong,” because perfect isn’t a thing so OF COURSE things will go not as planned. That’s just a fact. And oh well – no one will probably even notice in the end.
We have quite a few fun little things planned in the next couple days!:
- Seeing some out of town relatives and friends that we don’t get to spend nearly enough time with
- Our rehearsal and dinner at one of our favorite restaurants
- Getting my nails done and going to another of my favorite restaurants with all my bridesmaids
- Hanging out with my family on Saturday to get all the little last-minute things ready
Now if only I didn’t have to work in between all of that….. 😉
Have a lovely day!
Got anything happy to tell me today? I would love to hear it!