It’s really hard to believe that I’m actually back home in Michigan and already going back to work today. For those of you that didn’t know, I got married on October 8th! Then we actually went straight to the airport to fly to Jamaica for 10 days for our honeymoon. We got home this past Wednesday evening, so we had a few days to just enjoy being married in real life and get ourselves back in order after an insane couple of weeks. It was much necessary, and we ended up being so glad we planned it out that way.
I also just have to say that we are both happier than ever – marriage is the best. 🙂
I am absolutely going to work on wedding and honeymoon recaps this week, but for today I want to talk about some of the things that help me to get back to reality as seamlessly as possible after a vacation, a busy season in life, any major life change, or in this specific case, getting married and going on a honeymoon.
Tips for Recuperating From Travel & Going Back to “Real Life”
- UNPACK. The second you walk through the door. I know all you want to do is lay down on the couch and order Chinese food (which is what we did after about 45 minutes of being home), but I swear that you will be able to relax so much more easily if all your stuff is put away. It works wonders for my sanity.
- Throw a load of laundry in. This is pretty synonymous with unpacking, because you can kill two birds with one stone – more than half of your unpacking should be just throwing dirty clothes in the washing machine. I LOVE when I am home from a trip, all my clean stuff is put away, and all my dirty stuff is in the process of being washed. It really just makes me feel like I have my life more together than I do.
- If you are like me and are OCD about having outstanding things on your computer/TV, just take care of them. Either watch them, read them, or delete them. If I have a ton of shows that “need to be watched,” but I am never going to actually watch them, I just need to delete them so the little symbols telling me I still should watch them don’t drive me insane. Same with unread blog posts, emails, etc. On this same note, pay bills, update your budgets, and check the websites you didn’t look at while you were gone. It seems silly to some people that don’t care about these kind of things, but I really do, and I know I can’t be the only one.
- Text, call, or go see in person all the people that you are thinking about or feel like you should reach out to. Again, it will just be a load off your shoulders and one less thing you are thinking about.
- Workout. It will really catalyst you getting back into a routine.
- Go grocery shopping. Chances are that you have next to nothing in your fridge, especially no fruits or vegetables. Having healthy snacks on hand and ingredients to cook with makes you feel like you have your life in order.
- Get a really good night’s sleep.
- If you have the time (like we did), clean your house and even maybe tackle some organization. We did both of these things and in turn rearranged our living room. It brought us back to “being home” and gave us a sense of pride that we accomplished a project. It was fun, too!
- Make a to-do list of everything that is on your mind. It will keep you from constantly wondering what you are forgetting and will allow you the peace of mind to actually concentrate on getting things done.
- Give yourself a break. Getting back into the swing of things can be hard, but I find it easiest when you just do it without thinking about it so much!
These are just a few of the things that really helped me to get adjusted to my normal life again, and I hope they are helpful to you, too!
And just because I personally hate being teased and having to wait, I will leave you with one of my favorite wedding and one of my favorite honeymoon pictures. 🙂
This picture was taken just after dinner. Our photographers (we had 3) grabbed Chris and I and told us that there was a gorgeous sunset that they wanted to shoot some pictures by. We happily obliged, as it was a short opportunity to get away from our big crowd of people and just be kind of alone for a few minutes! I saw this picture was posted on Instagram while we were in Jamaica and immediately sent it to my mom, made it the background on my phone, and proceeded to look at it about a thousand more times since then. I love it so much. I cannot wait to see the rest.
We had the most magical honeymoon. We stayed at an adults-only, all-inclusive resort and were treated like royalty the entire time we were there. It was truly a once-in-a-lifetime trip that we will remember forever. Now that I am back at home, I feel so blessed to have had that time away with Chris. It was so special to both of us, and we really did have the best time ever. This picture was actually taken by one of the professional photographers that our resort had walking around all day long. We befriended one of them and scheduled a “photo shoot”with him one evening before dinner, which was when he took this picture. It is actually what we will be using on our thank you cards, too!
Like I said earlier, I’m back to work today, so reality has definitely set back in. In a weird way though, I’m actually excited to catch up on everything? I’m sure I will regret saying that in a few days, but I’ll take the positive attitude for now. 😉
I hope you have a fantastic day!
Tell me something you did in the last 2 weeks, since I feel totally out of the loop!