Other than the obvious things like my family, friends, and sleeping, these are some of the things (both big and little) that have been bringing me great joy in my life lately:
- The Ellen Degeneres Show. I was actually “on” the show when I went to see it for the second time back in 2013 (the first time was with my mom two years prior to that)! Basically I was in the audience and cried and she came to give me a hug, because I made a fool of myself. You can see more here if you really want to make fun of me 😉 But I still absolutely adore her and her show – it brings a smile to my face every single day.
- Rain. I can’t be the only one who loves a rainy day home on the couch. Not much makes me happier than reading a book while I listen to the rain on the roof.
- People watching at Starbucks while drinking strong, black coffee
- Cooking with my husband. We actually ordered a few Hello Fresh meals for the first time, and I can’t wait to try them out later this week.
- Reading just about anything. I have always loved books, but never more than I have lately. I have also been going to our local library, which is like a half mile from our house. When the weather is nicer, I will definitely be able to walk there. I love just going in and browsing for something I won’t have to pay any money for!
- Our cats. Even though they drive Chris and I crazy a lot of the time, I am so thankful they are around to cuddle with and entertain us. Since I have been home so much lately, it is fun to have little buddies around to keep me from losing my mind. And despite the look on her face, I swear she is happy to lay with me.
- Taking classes at the gym. For a long time I got really used to solo workouts. When I got into yoga again almost a year ago, it opened up the group fitness world for me, too. I started trying classes here and there and now have three usual classes a week I go to. I love the atmosphere change and having other like-minded women surrounding me, doing the same thing. It’s really motivating and makes it so I don’t have to think one bit about my own workouts, which is a very welcome break from creating exercises. Usually I don’t want to go to the gym at night, but I always look forward to it when I know I am attending a barre, spin, or yoga class.
- Podcasts – current favorites are Oprah’s Super Soul, The Skinny Confidential Him & Her, and For the Love with Jen Hatmaker
- Garlic dip and pita chips. Chris and I always love getting this as an appetizer at Lebanese restaurants, but lately we have been buying it from a few different grocery stores, trying to find out which one makes it the best. The only problem is that we go through it waaaaay too quickly. Like at an embarrassing rate.
- Grey’s Anatomy. I’m not sure how I am 26 years old and have never seen an episode of this show before. No joke, I am only one episode in, and I already know that this is going to be my obsession for the next year or so. There are so many episodes of the show, but I have heard such good things about it, so I really want to give it a try. From everything my sister has told me, I am going to cry at almost every single episode, and so far I’m 1/1.
- Having a slow schedule. We had such a busy time since we got engaged last May with planning the wedding, going on a few trips last summer, actually getting married, going on our honeymoon, and then the holidays. I am so loving this quiet time with not much going on. When people ask us, “What’s new?” I am really enjoying saying absolutely nothing. Time at home with my books, cats, and tea is just what I need for a little while.
- Costco. This one is probably a given, but Chris and I are just a tad bit obsessed with Costco. Slowly but surely we are becoming an all-Kirkland brand household. We sit around on the weekends and flip through the Costco sales catalog – we are wild! It’s become one of my favorite weekly activities to go to Costco on a Saturday afternoon, browse around, and eat some free samples. We almost always find a few things we don’t need, but that make us really happy so we get them anyway. And most things at Costco are like, less than $20, so why not?
- Writing a book. I have actually started on one of my big 2018 goals of writing a book about something I am super passionate about. I don’t want to announce the topic just yet, but I am so crazy excited about it. Right now I am just chipping away at it a little bit each day, but over the next few weeks I plan to make time in my schedule to have set writing blocks a few times a week. I think this will help me compartmentalize my thoughts better and give me a little more direction.
- Time. I feel like time is moving by more slowly lately, and I am so grateful for that. I’m sure it has to do with the fact that I have been working hard to be more intentional with who and how I spend my time, but I also think it’s the season we are in. Winter just seems to drag on, which I actually love. Summer usually goes by in a flash, but winter is time for kicking back and just being for a while.
What are some things that are bringing you joy right now? Did you ever watch Grey’s Anatomy?